Saturday, April 18, 2009

Distributed Version Control & Git [Part 2]

dvcs.png
In Part I of Distributed Version Control & Git, I showed you why you should switch to Distributed Version Control and explained part of what makes Git a compelling Distributed Version Control System. In Part 2 and the final part of this miniseries, I show you an overview of git and the basics and guide you through how you setup a git repository, doing commits, branches, merging, resolving merge conflicts with filemerge and show you the apps that come with git and GitX. I also want to draw your attention to the fact that there are some excellent & much more detailed git tutorial videos that go into much more detail at GitCasts Here are some more interesting resources GitX GitCast Videos Setup Initialization & Cloning Normal Workflow Interactive Adding Git Log Browsing Git Objects Branching & Merging Rebasing Distributed Workflow Empty Branches RailsConf Git Talk Git Submodules Git Diff

4 comments:

Renault said...

For next time, try not to commit an Integer with a value of 3.1415 ;)
Jokes aside, it's a really nice screen cast. It helped me getting started with GIT.

yann said...

Thanks for your work on this video.

I began with Git and I must confess it is technically superior to other DCVS. But for now I'm certainly too used with other tools.

For example, I'm not used with the staging area. I believe you most of time do a:
$ git add -A
$ git commit

It is not a matter of time, but do you see an advantage of doing so.

For example I'd prefer a command:

$ git commit [files]

which would be equivalent to:

$ git add [files]
$ git commit

thanks again for you good job,
Y.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for good screen cast. It's good overview for Git.

Samurai said...

nice overview of git.

Nice blog too

 
...